- Always be publishing
- Believe in and doubt merit
- Do not define success according to academe’s terms
… and 9Â other pieces of advice in “Advice for Aspiring Academics,” published in today’s Inside Higher Ed.
Regular readers of this blog may notice that this is the full-length version of a short Twitter essay from April 2014. At that time, I said I’d revise and expand it – well, I finally did! Â I should also note that theÂ original series of tweets was itself inspired by a Twitter conversation with ClÃ©mentine Beauvais. She’s since left Twitter, but if you’ve an interest in academe or children’s literature, do check out her excellent blogs, available in EnglishÂ and French.
Finally, everyone should peruseÂ Robin Bernstein’s excellent collection of advice for academics. Â Lots of wisdom there.
My other Inside Higher Ed essays:
- In Search of Lost Time (3 March 2014). Â See also the further reading list.
- From Adjunct to the Tenure Track, Part 1 (1 Oct. 2012)
- Adjunct to the Tenure Track, Part 2Â (3 Oct. 2012)
*aka lecturers in the UK and Australian systems.