An update.Â Shortly after yesterday’s blog post, my editor said I could go ahead and send it all in.Â This means either that he (or someone else) will now seek places to cut or that it’s moving ahead to the copy-editing stage.Â Either way, it’s off my desk until [unknown date]!
With a mixture of pride and embarrassment, Nine Kinds of Pie commemorates this (possibly) momentous occasionÂ with some amateur photography.
One final note: If this is indeed going into copy-editing now, then expect The Purple Crayon and a Hole to Dig: The Lives of Crockett Johnson and Ruth Krauss to be published in June 2012.
If you liked this post, you might also enjoy previous entries of similarly dubious merit, all concerning the Interminable Editing ofÂ The Purple Crayon and a Hole to Dig: The Lives of Crockett Johnson and Ruth Krauss:
- News, Thanks, and Apologies (May 2011): in which I apologize for the post below, and indicate my current plan of action.
- Update, Featuring First 5 Paragraphs of the Book! (May 2011): ill-advised post, in which I express irritation and conflicting signals from editor. Â I shouldn’t have posted this.
- On a First-Name Basis with People I’ve Never Met (Jan. 2011): early version of bit I added to intro.
- biography outtakes, part 8 (June 2011): now featuring despair!
- biography outtakes, part 7 (June 2011): killing my darlings. Â Some bits that I like but that do not need to be retained… and thus have been cut!
- biography outtakes, part 6 (May 2011): some of the notes removed from this current round of editing.
- biography outtakes, part 5 (Dec. 2010): this and those below are from the round of edits I did in the fall. Â In that round of editing, I removed 10,000 words.
- biography outtakes, part 4 (Nov. 2010)
- biography outtakes, part 3 (Nov. 2010)
- biography outtakes, part 2 (Nov. 2010)
- biography outtakes, part 1 (Nov. 2010)