Its importance is Johnson and Krauss’s early opposition to the war in Vietnam. Krauss’s name is not on this petition, but she’s on another one from 1965. (This fact is especially notable because she was less likely to sign petitions than he was.) Below, you’ll see other like-minded people, some of whom — Kay Boyle, Ad Reinhardt, Antonio Frasconi — were friends of Johnson and Krauss.
Assembly of Men and Women in the Arts, Concerned with Vietnam
723 ½ North La Cienega Boulevard – Room 203 657-2854
National Initiating Sponsors (Incomplete List)
[c. December 1964/January 1965]
|Harold Altman, painter, Pa.
Oliver Andrews, sculptor, So. Calif.
Saul Bass, graphic artist, designer, So. Calif.
Maurice Becker, painter, cartoonist, NY
Heschel Bernardi, actor, NYC
Neil Blaine, painter, NYC
Kay Boyle, author, NYC
Ray Bradbury, author, So. Calif.
Joan Brown, painter, So. Calif.
Coleen Browning, painter, NYC
Benny Carter, composer, concert artist, So. Calif.
John Collier, author, NYC
Lucille Corcos, painter, NYC
Robert Dash, painter, NYC
Richard Diebenkorn, painter, So. Calif.
Leonard Edmondson, painter, So. Calif.
Lawrence Ferlinghetti, writer, poet, No. Calif.
Mrs. Lion Feuchtwanger, So. Calif
Tully Filmus, painter, NY
Antonio Frasconi, graphic artist, Conn.
Gerald Fried, composer, So. Calif.
Sonia Gechtoff, painter, NYC
Allen Ginsberg, poet, NYC
Ernest Gold, composer, conductor, So. Calif.
Herbert Gold, author, No. Calif.
Les Goldman, producer, So. Calif.
Norm Gollin, graphic artist, So. Calif.
Sy Gomberg, film writer, So. Calif.
Balcomb Greene, painter, NYC
Stephen Greene, painter, NY
Robert Gwathmey, painter, NYC
E. Y. Harburg, writer, lyricist, NYC
Nat Hentoff, author, NYC
Crockett Johnson, artist, writer, Conn.
Millard Kaufman, writer, So. Calif.
Robert Kennard, A.I.A., architect, So. Calif.
Rockwell Kent, painter, graphic artist, NY
Gyorgy Kepes, painter, professor of visual deisgn, Mass.
Adolph Konrad, painter, NYC
Chaim Koppelman, graphic artist, NYC
Max Kozloff, critic, art editor, The Nation, NYC
Phil Leider, editor, ArtForum magazine, So. Calif.
|Jack Levine, painter, NYC
Dwight MacDonald, journalist, NYC
Charles Mattox, sculptor, So. Calif.
Arnold Mesches, painter, So. Calif.
Robert P. Meyerhof, A.I.A., architect, So. Calif.
Jessica Mitford, author, No. Calif.
Lewis Mumford, writer, critic, Mass.
Tillie Olsen, author, No. Calif.
Gifford Phillips, associate publisher, The Nation, So. Calif.
Richard M. Powell, tv and film writer, So. Calif.
David Raskin, composer, conductor, So. Calif.
Anton Refregier, painter, NY
Carl Reiner, writer, director, So. Calif.
Ad Reinhardt, painter, NYC
Harold Rome, composer, NYC
Ed Ruscha, painter, So. Calif.
Robert Ryan, actor, NYC
Arthur Secunda, painter, sculptor, So. Calif.
Herman Shulmin, producer, NYC
Frank Silvera, actor, director, So. Calif.
Arthur H. Silvers, A.I.A., architect, So. Calif.
Louis Simpson, poet, winner Pulitzer Prize in American Poetry, 1964, No. Calif.
Whitney R. Smith, F.A.I.A., architect, So. Calif.
Raphael Soyer, painter, NYC
Stewart Stern, film writer, So. Calif.
David Stuart, art dealer, gallery owner, So. Calif.
Maurice Tuchman, curator, So. Calif.
Frederick J. Usher, graphic designer, So. Calif.
Robert Vaughn, actor, producer, So. Calif.
Geoffrey Wagner, novelist, NYC
Irving Wallace, author, So. Calif.
Lynd Ward, lithographer, writer, NJ
Charles White, painter, graphic-artist, So. Calif.
James Whitmore, actor, So. Calif.
Robert Wise, producer, director, So. Calif.
Tom Woodward, graphic designer, So. Calif.
Joseph Young, muralist, So. Calif.
Ned Young, film writer, So. Calif.
Source: reel N/69-101, Frame 82, Ad Reinhardt Papers, Archives of American Art, Smithsonian.
My goodness. Look at all these other posts concerning what is currently called The Purple Crayon and a Hole to Dig: The Lives of Crockett Johnson and Ruth Krauss! Or don’t look. That’s up to you, really.
- Preview: biography of Johnson and Krauss. First sentence and last sentence (Sept. 2011).
- Invent Title for My Book, Win Signed Copy of the Book (Aug. 2011). Editor dislikes title. I “crowdsource” it to readers, and get lots of suggestions. Have submitted leading contenders to editor. No decision as yet on final title.
- Crockett Johnson and the Purple Crayon: A Life in Art (Aug. 2011). My 2004 Comic Art article on the life of Crockett Johnson. Now available for free as either pdf or a series of jpgs.
- Appendix A: American Committee for Spanish Freedom (July 2011). I cut all four appendices. This is the first one.
- Appendix B: We Are for Wallace (July 2011). And this is the second one.
- The Text’s in the Mail (June 2011): in which I send the final version of the manuscript to my editor.
- News, Thanks, and Apologies (May 2011): in which I apologize for the post below, and indicate my current plan of action.
- Update, Featuring First 5 Paragraphs of the Book! (May 2011): ill-advised post, in which I express irritation and conflicting signals from editor. I shouldn’t have posted this.
- On a First-Name Basis with People I’ve Never Met (Jan. 2011): early version of bit I added to intro.
- biography outtakes, part 8 (June 2011): now featuring despair!
- biography outtakes, part 7 (June 2011): killing my darlings. Some bits that I like but that do not need to be retained… and thus have been cut!
- biography outtakes, part 6 (May 2011): some of the notes removed from this current round of editing.
- biography outtakes, part 5 (Dec. 2010): this and those below are from the round of edits I did in the fall. In that round of editing, I removed 10,000 words.
- biography outtakes, part 4 (Nov. 2010).
- biography outtakes, part 3 (Nov. 2010).
- biography outtakes, part 2 (Nov. 2010).
- biography outtakes, part 1 (Nov. 2010).